STOP GOING TO CHURCH: Week 5 – The Meaning of Life & The “More” You Were Made For
Stop Going To Church
Beyond the Teaching
There are 168 hours in each week, and we get to spend ONE of those learning and worshipping together as a community, but we want to give you the tools to carry this into your daily life.
Use the following guide to dive deeper into the text Ryan taught from and have discussion with those you do life with. You can do that all week in a Growth Group or Mission Team, with your Few, or over in our Digital Community (https://www.facebook.com/groups/OLHendo).
Miss the teaching? Check it out HERE: https://youtu.be/V4Ro_RC3t5g
- At what times in your life do you feel most “purposeful?”
Read the Key Passage:
Mark taught we are “made for more than us.” This short passage begins to explore what that “more” looks like. Read it again, and use the engagement tools below to examine it a bit closer.
“But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.” – 1 Peter 2:9
- Observe: What does it say?
- Interpret: What does it mean?
- Apply: What am I supposed to do with it?
Learn the Context:
Check out these resources to learn some additional context on this passage from Peter’s letter:
- 1 Peter Overview: https://youtu.be/WhP7AZQlzCg
- 1 Peter 2:4-3:7 Study: https://youtu.be/eAb8X4M2Dls
Unpacking the Passage:
- After exploring the tools above, what stands out to you about the “more” we are made for?
- There are several elements of our “identity” in this passage: chose people, royal priesthood, holy nation, God’s special possession, called out of the darkness into the light. Which of these different elements stands out most to you? Why?
- In what ways can you be intentional about living in this identity that we have been given through Jesus?
Unpacking the Teaching:
- What does it look like for you to be a “part of a team to change the world” from your unique seat at the table–your Made For This?
- What practical steps can you take to “deny self” and be devoted to “more than you” today?
- Considering your unique strengths and passions, what do you believe your role on a “team to change the world” looks like?
- Breaking through all the church “clichés” we’ve been addressing, what does it mean to you to “stop going to church?”
STOP going to church, and BECOME ambassadors for Jesus everywhere you go through YOUR unique Made For This. Try to complete this week’s challenge, and let us know you are moving beyond the ONE hour in the church building!
- Say, “YES!” You were made to be PART of a TEAM to change the world. Answer the question: Who is MY Team, and then take an active step into that Team. If you need help, reach out to us on your favorite platform, and we will help!