- If you have been baptized, what was that experience like for you?
- If you haven’t been baptized, what questions do you have about it?
Read and Discuss
Matthew 10:32-33 NASB 1995
Therefore, everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven.
- Why does Jesus make statements like this?
- What does it mean to confess Jesus before other people?
- How is baptism a symbol of that?
- What are some ways you can confess Jesus to others this week?
- What are some ways people deny Jesus before others?
- How is confessing Jesus to others more than just saying words?
Romans 6:4-7 CSB
4 Therefore we were buried with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, so we too may walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have been united with him in the likeness of his death, we will certainly also be in the likeness of his resurrection. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be rendered powerless so that we may no longer be enslaved to sin, 7 since a person who has died is freed from sin.
- In what ways does baptism point to the death and resurrection of Jesus?
- How did Jesus’ death and coming back to life give us the ability to walk in the newness of life?
- What does Paul mean that “the body ruled by sin might be rendered powerless?”
- What does it mean to be freed from sin?
- Do people who follow Jesus and have been baptized still sin?
- What’s the difference between sinning before and after we’ve made a commitment to follow Jesus?
- Since those who follow Jesus are no longer enslaved to sin, what do you need to do this week to make more of Jesus and less of sin in your life?
Romans 6:6-7 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body ruled by sin might be rendered powerless so that we may no longer be enslaved to sin, 7 since a person who has died is freed from sin.
Thank God for sending Jesus to grant us freedom from our life of sin.
Adoration- Spend some time worshiping God for coming to earth as Jesus and dying the death we deserved
Confess to the times you have taken advantage of your freedom in Christ by willfully sinning knowing that Jesus would forgive you.
Others- Pray that the Lord would give you the opportunity to confess Him to others this week
Self- Ask the Lord to show you ways that you can walk more in His presence and freedom each day this week.