Because 2022 – Week 5
Message Recap: This week we looked at how the ark of the covenant was the central part of the temple and how that reminded people of their covenant relationship with the Lord. Then we looked at how Jesus fulfilled that covenant and entered us into a new covenant by His sacrifice.
- How would you instruct someone to become your good friend, starting with not knowing you at all?
- Examples (Introvert/ Extrovert, cat/ dog, hug/ no touching, what you do in free time, etc.)
Read and Discuss
2 Chronicles 5: 2, 7, 10 NASB
2 Then Solomon assembled to Jerusalem the elders of Israel and all the heads of the tribes, the leaders of the fathers’ households of the sons of Israel, to bring up the ark of the covenant of the Lord out of the city of David, which is Zion.
7 Then the priests brought the ark of the covenant of the Lord to its place, into the inner sanctuary of the house, to the holy of holies, under the wings of the cherubim.
10 There was nothing in the ark except the two tablets which Moses put there at Horeb, where the Lord made a covenant with the sons of Israel, when they came out of Egypt.
- Why was the ark of the covenant so significant to the Israelites?
- Why did the ark have to stay in the holy of holies?
- What is a covenant?
- Why would God want to enter into a covenant with people?
2 Chronicles 7:1-3 NASB
1 Now when Solomon had finished praying, fire came down from heaven and consumed the burnt offering and the sacrifices, and the glory of the Lord filled the house. 2 The priests could not enter into the house of the Lord because the glory of the Lord filled the Lord’s house. 3 All the sons of Israel, seeing the fire come down and the glory of the Lord upon the house, bowed down on the pavement with their faces to the ground, and they worshiped and gave praise to the Lord, saying, “Truly He is good, truly His lovingkindness is everlasting.”
- Was it on Solomon’s terms, or the Lord’s terms that the Lord showed up?
- What drove the sons of Israel to worship the Lord?
- What are some things that make you want to worship the Lord?
- What are some ways we want to worship on our own terms and not the Lord’s?
Hebrews 8:1-6 CSB
Now the main point of what is being said is this: We have this kind of high priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 a minister of the sanctuary and the true tabernacle that was set up by the Lord and not man. 3 For every high priest is appointed to offer gifts and sacrifices; therefore, it was necessary for this priest also to have something to offer. 4 Now if he were on earth, he wouldn’t be a priest, since there are those offering the gifts prescribed by the law. 5 These serve as a copy and shadow of the heavenly things, as Moses was warned when he was about to complete the tabernacle. For God said, Be careful that you make everything according to the pattern that was shown to you on the mountain. 6 But Jesus has now obtained a superior ministry, and to that degree he is the mediator of a better covenant, which has been established on better promises.
- What was the purpose of the tabernacle and temple in the Old Testament according to the author of Hebrews?
- How did Jesus change worship with the better covenant?
- Do you view your relationship with God as a covenant? Why or why not?
- If you see your relationship with the Lord as a covenant you’ve entered into on His terms, what would change about how you live your life?
2 Chronicles 7:3
3 All the sons of Israel, seeing the fire come down and the glory of the Lord upon the house, bowed down on the pavement with their faces to the ground, and they worshiped and gave praise to the Lord, saying, “Truly He is good, truly His lovingkindness is everlasting.”
Thank the Lord for creating a way for us to be in His presence.
Adoration– Tell the Lord some of the reasons you worship Him
Confess the times you’ve tried to worship the Lord on your terms and not His. Or times when you haven’t taken the covenant seriously.
Others- Pray for those around you who don’t worship the Lord. Pray that they would see His glory
Self- Ask the Lord to help you see the seriousness of a covenant relationship with Him and that you would live it out how He wants you to.