Highlight Reel – Week 4 Discussion Guide
There are 168 hours in each week, and we get to spend ONE of those learning and worshipping together as a community, but we want to give you the tools to carry this into your daily life.
Use the following guide to dive deeper into Ryan’s teaching, and have discussion with those you do life with. You can do that all week in a Growth Group or Mission Team, with your Few, or over in our Digital Community (https://www.facebook.com/groups/OLHendo).
If you were a flavor of ice cream, what would you be? Why? (This is not your favorite flavor of ice cream, but the flavor whose characteristics are most similar to yours.) This question is a fun way to explore just a little bit of your Made For This.
Exploring the Text:
Read the key passage again:
After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: “Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.” All the angels were standing around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. They fell down on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, saying: “Amen! Praise and glory and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and strength be to our God for ever and ever. Amen!” ‘Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat down on them,’ nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; ‘he will lead them to springs of living water.’ ‘And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.’ ” Revelation 7:9-12,16-17
Use our Bible study tools to help you unpack this passage more deeply (for more instruction on these questions, check pg. 9-10 in The 167):
- Observe: What does it say?
- Interpret: What does it mean?
- Apply: What am I supposed to do with it?
- What picture do you believe the author is painting for his initial audience? How does that impact your reading of this text today?
- How does this image point to authentic, Christ-centered community?
- How does this passage impact your understanding of the book of Revelation?
Exploring the Teaching:
Ryan closed the Highlight Reel series discussing how Jesus’ entire life on Earth was spent leading toward the Revelation 7 picture we read above. Like Jesus, our “highlight reels” are great, but they’re not the full picture. We were designed to live in community with others, and we were designed to pour our lives into others.
- How does our role in community lead toward the Revelation 7 picture?
- How can the way YOU are being formed by God impact how you form OTHERS?
- In what ways can you be intentional about building authentic, Christ-centered community in your life today?
Made For This:
During the teaching, Ryan shared about a brand new highlight reel of his own: he will be transitioning to a different professional role with another tristate company that will allow him to further develop and live his Made For This by multiplying radical belonging, restorative hope, and Jesus-centered transformation the way God uniquely designed him to, but in a secular, marketplace environment. (While he will not be the Pastor anymore, he’s not going anywhere. You’ll still see him serving, leading, and loving others in pursuit of our vision for Henderson. He’ll just be doing so in a volunteer capacity alongside you. If you missed Ryan’s full story, keep an eye our for further communications from him directly this week.)
- No matter your role at work, home, or church, what does living your Made For This look like today?
- How has Christ-centered community in your life contributed to you knowing or living your Made For This?
At the end of the day, Mark shared that God has called us all to take Jesus to the world, but as One Life Henderson collectively, he has called us to build a city multiplying radical belonging, restorative hope, and Jesus-centered transformation.
- What might be your role in this huge vision for Henderson?
- Where are you experiencing belonging in your life today? Hope? Transformation?
- How does your Made For This contribute to multiplying those things in our city?
In your Group, Team, or Few, begin to explore the Made For This exercise (TAP HERE). Start to explore what it is God has uniquely designed for you, and share those things with people in your life.